Global or regional aggregators
"Taxonomic aggregators" - Categorisation in the TETTRIs context
1. Primary Aggregators
- Specific group of organisms, global (e.g. Index Fungorum) or regional (e.g. Euro+Med PlantBase).
- Content directly driven by and (also) used by the respective taxonomic community.
- Single classification of name usage, either as synonyms, accepted taxon names or for some reason unplaced names.
2. Secondary aggregators
- Comprehensive taxonomic coverage of names and taxa irrespective of the taxonomic group
- Global (Catalogue of Life) or regional (e.g. European: PESI/EU-nomen).
- Single classification of name usage.
- Ideally, aggregating primary aggregators
- Provide access to a multitude of stored datasets, legacy or updated (e.g. GBIF/CoL Checklist Bank, GNA Global Names)
- Useful for name discovery and to trace provenance of designations
- If offering a service to match names against specific datasets they become (indirect) secondary or primary target aggregators